Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm so over sleeping

When I was a little kid, my brother used to tell us that he slept with his eyes open. Oftentimes my parents would indeed find him laying wide awake in bed hours after his bedtime.

My sister often sleeps with one eye hanging open. This phenomenon was spotted our first night in Europe last summer, when she fell asleep, one eye open, on the dinner table. This caused one of the chaperones, a fellow teacher, to point at my sister and remark to the other kids, "Look at that freak show!" Over Christmas, she was sleeping with one eye open on the couch. Her phone rang and I said, "Jennie, your phone is ringing." I was looking her straight in the eye, and what did she do in response? She closed her eye! It was hilarious!

I don't think Stephen, my other brother, has any strange sleeping patters, but I know I used to sleepwalk. In fact, when I was really little, I got downstairs and the front door unlocked before my parents asked me where I was going. I replied that I was going to McDonald's to get a cheeseburger. I have no recollection of this, of course, so they could be making it up.

Why the sleep talk? The pillow talk, if you will?

It's because I can't sleep.

I LOVE to sleep. I just haven't been able to lately.

I was up until 4 a.m. last night. I did homework to try to make myself get tired. I emailed an assignment to a professor at 3:30. Nothing. Because of this, I've been tired all day -- but as soon as I got into bed -- wide awake!

I wonder if my body is adjusting to my favorite sleep schedule --- 3 a.m. to noon.

I was able to pull off this sleep schedule the first semester of my senior year in college. My earliest class started at 2. I loved it! Coincidentally, this was the semester I turned 21 (so that 2 p.m. class time was sometimes necessary after staying up late drinking diet coke and playing video games with my friends!), and the only semester I got a 4.0 in undergrad. I rolled out of bed late and was able to do my writing (for fiction and my columns) after my roommates had gone to bed.

But NOW! Now I need to be productive. I have so much work to do, and I really need to get good sleep to do it.

Oh bubble (as my sister would say). My mind is still awake, but my brain is also goop. It's time to stop writing before I write something REALLY terrible (if I haven't already!). More later, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been through spells where I can't sleep. The best advice I've followed is to stay away from the TV, computer and bright lights. Read a book, but not necessarily one that you are dying to finish.

Anonymous said...

Quite a few times, I've woken up on the couch downstairs and have had no idea how I got there...