Monday, January 28, 2008

Ladies, Let's talk Leggings

I wasn't going to say anything.

In fact, I thought the ladies over at Go Fug Yourself (gofugyourself.typepad.com) have done a great job in their quest against the legging. I didn't think I needed to say anything.

But I must muse for a few moments on the legging.

I have no problem if a person wants to wear a dress in the winter time with a pair of leggings under it. I understand wanting to keep your legs warm but abhoring the itchier stocking. I understand wearing a pair of leggings underneath athletic shorts for the same reason.

I do not understand the idea that Leggings = Pants.

Perhaps this is a delicate subject. I have a problem with the tightness of the leggings. I have an issue with displaying your business while trying to act like you are in fact not displaying your business because you are in fact wearing pants. And while I might be ok with a person showing up to aerobics or ballet class in leggings, I have an issue with leggings-as-pants to class. It seems unseemly, a little inappropriate. And cold.

I sound so old. I know this, and yet I cannot back off. Leggings do not equal pants to me. What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so funny because my friend and I were just talking about leggings the other day. A co-worker suggested that if I were in a bigger city, I would be wearing leggings instead of jeans with the long sweater I had on at work that day. But I said that it wouldn't matter, because I do not have the proper figure for leggings, especially at 9-months pregnant.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree!! Leggings do not equal pants! And the times that allow for them, they should only be worn by a certain type of figure. Most gals forget to take a really good look at themselves before walking out of the door. For the most part leave the leggings at home.