Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Mushy brain

Tomorrow I have a literature review, intro, and method section due for my qualitative methods class. This has resulted in quite the mushy brain.

I am working on a paper about "The Secret Life of the American Teenager," analyzing the sexual content in the show, especially as it relates to risk, responsibility, and consequences. To do the literature review, I have been working on compiling information about sex on TV. As you can imagine, there is a lot of sex on TV.

Also, and those of you who watch Secret Life will love this, the show won a Gracie Award this year, which (I kid you not) "strives to encourage the realistic and faceted portrayal of women in entertainment, commercials, news, features, and other programs" (gracies.org).Realistic is not the word I would necessarily use (not all the time, for sure).

(As I have been typing this, it came to mind what types of characters will come to this blog through what strange and wonderful google searches. Sex. Teenagers. TV. Oh Dear.)

On a completely different note (kind of), those of you who are interested in chick lit (as well as DAWSON'S CREEK!) and different funny themes (in this case -- college life), check out Sadako's post today. It's excellent and mindful.

3 comments:

Sadako said...

Good luck on the paper...I've never seen this show, but it sounds really cool. And I'm sure your paper will be great.

Thanks for mentioning my blogpost! :D *blush*

Stacie said...

Ha, Sadako -- if I weren't mired in TV sex research, I would have been able to write something thoughtful in response to your post instead of "I love it," lol! Perhaps in a couple of days.

Sadako said...

Hey, those three words are always welcome to hear.